MARSHALL — A mechanical problem with a refrigeration system is responsible for a release of ammonia at the Arctic Glacier ice facility Thursday night.
Part of the Marshall Industrial Park was evacuated after the Marshall Fire Department and area Hazardous Materials Response Team responded to the scene.
No injuries were reported in the incident and responders ventilated the building, Fire Chief Marshal Quentin Brunsvold said.
“We are happy that it is a good result” he said.
Brunsvold said the mechanical problem with the refrigeration system caused a release of pressure which also released ammonia outside the building. Responders also found high levels of ammonia inside the facility, but there were no employees inside the building at the time, he said.
Ammonia is dangerous to people if inhaled, and it can also have dangerous reactions with other chemicals.
Duininck employees who were doing street work on Halbur Road, as well as Spee-Dee Delivery Service and Viessman Trucking north of Arctic Glacier, were evacuated as a safety measure, Brunsvold said.